Worship Times | Directions | Child Development | Pre-School | Site Index
St. Paul's Lutheran Church
St. Paul's Lutheran Church History
1948

Pastor C. Wayne Peterman was called by Mount Calvary to establish a mission church.  The organizational service was held on Feb 1, 1948 at Montclair School. (currently the Montessori School just down the street from St. Paul's.)  There were 96 Charter Members. Luther League (Youth Group) was started in April. Members of St. Paul’s belonged to a church basketball league that played at the YMCA.

Pastor C. Wayne Peterman and wife Dorothy

Pastor C. Wayne Peterman and wife Dorothy (1947-50)

1949
The basement unit was built and dedicated in July.
1950

Pastor Peterman resigned to continue full time at Mt Calvary. A student Pastor, Charles Zacher, served for the summer.  Pastor George Wolfe began his ministry in October and formed the Millcreek Parish, consisting of St. Peter’s and St. Paul’s. This relationship with St. Peter’s continued until 1964. Mrs. Stitzinger, a teacher and member of Asbury Methodist Church, established our first kindergarten class this year.

Pastor George D. Wolfe (1950-57)

Pastor George D. Wolfe (1950-57)

1953

The chapel was dedicated in July. Much of the finish work on this building was done by Pastor Wolfe (a skilled carpenter) and other parishioners.  At this time we had 228 members and 150 in Sunday School.

Chapel Dedication

Chapel Dedication (1953)

1957

Pastor Wolfe resigned in May and Pastor Luther Clare began his tenure in July. The Clare family lived in a campground until the parsonage was completed.

Rev. Luther K. Clare and wife Elsa

Pastor Luther K. Clare and wife Elsa (1957-72)

1961

The Education Building was dedicated in September. It isn’t clear what years Boy Scouts, Vacation Bible School, and Preschool were started, but they were all active by this time.

Education Building Dedication

Education Building Dedication (1961)

1966

While Pastor Clare was ill, we were served by Pastor Brewer. He was an accomplished circus performer, trained in Europe. This was a very interesting summer.

Pastor Brewer

Pastor Brewer (center) (June-September 1966)

1967
We had three youth choirs with 63 young singers.
1972
Pastor Clare concluded his ministry at St. Paul's in May of this year.
1973

 

Pastor Bob Danielson began his ministry with us in February.  His wife, Pearl Danielson, was also very active, leading music programs and serving in many other ways.

Rev. Robert C. Danielson and wife Pearl

Pastor Robert C. Danielson and wife Pearl (1971-89)

1979

The new Sanctuary was dedicated in September.

Sanctuary Dedication

Sanctuary Dedication (1979)

1986

Construction of Fellowship Hall was begun, it was dedicated in May 1987.

Fellowship Hall Cornerstone

Fellowship Hall Cornerstone

1987

Pastor Richard Schultz served St. Paul's as co-Pastor in April.

Pastor Richard Schultz

Pastor Richard Schultz (1987-2007)

1989
Pastor Danielson resigned in June to accept a call in Kane, PA. Pastor Schultz became Senior Pastor.
1991

Pastor Pamela Werner served as Associate Minister from April until March of 1993. Patchwork of Love began their quilting and knitting ministry this year.

Pamela Werner

Pastor Pamela Werner (center) (1991-1993)

2001
Rob Hart was hired as Youth Director, he led the first Mission Trip. He was with us for just over one year.
2002
Kelly Zimmerman filled the Youth Director position.
2005
Our worship space was renovated with new tile, carpeting, and upholstery.
2006

Our new organ was dedicated in October.  We enjoyed Vicar Karen Parsh’s internship with us from January to September.

Karen Parsh

Karen Parsh (right) (2006)

2007

We celebrated Pastor Schultz’s twenty years with us and he retired in July.  Pastor Jan Marvar became our Interim Pastor in October.

Pastor Jan Marvar

Pastor Jan Marvar (2007-09)

2009

We were pleased to have a unanimous vote to call Pastor Scott Maxwell and his wife Candace Littell Maxwell to serve St. Paul’s.

Pastor Scott Maxwell and wife Candace

Pastor Scott Maxwell and wife Candy (2009-Present)